Sunday 23 December 2007

Merry Christmas and all that crap.

Merry Chrismas one and all. Thank god I'm in a predominantly Hindu country, because I've not seen one fairy light, inflatable santa or Christmas tree. In the future I'm definitely holidaying in a non-Christian country over the Christmas period! Bahhhhhhh humbug.
First of all, apologies folks, no pictures. Curse of the crap internet connection has struck again. For the past couple of weeks I've been hanging around in Rishikesh, chilling out. Its one of the more peaceful parts of India I've visited so far. Its a small town in the foothills of the Himalaya, on the River Ganges (Ganga) Famous for its temples, Yoga Ashrams (Schools) and home to the Beatles in the late 60's. The old Ashram where the Fab Four stayed is now deserted and slowly being consumed by the undergrowth. Kind of a spooky, interesting place to trespass in, as long as you bribe/avoid the guards and hold a big stick to fight of the monkeys with!
Pretty much everyday I've been going to Yoga classes, so for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week have been slowly getting more and more bendy. Can now pull off some pretty extreme moves- my best being- The Crow. Hopefully by the time I get back to the UK I'll be able to levitate.
Today I went for a Aruvedic massage. It was a penis out, leave your modesty at the door kind of affair, and not the sort of thing an Englishman abroad should partake in. Never the less, after a hour and a half off having the crap beaten out of me, i'm feeling alot better.
Did only intend staying here for 3 or 4 days, but its such a chilled out place I'm sticking around till boxing day, then heading East to Lucknow and Varanasi.

Happy Christmas Everyone

3 comments:

prophin said...

Happy Chrismbo bah humbug You've missed your Mums fabulous Christmas dinner (including parsnips cooked in cinnamon and maple syrup then roasted --- delicious if i say so myself!!!
Keep chilling out - I'm sure you really need to.

Linsey rang this morning abot 10 am - 4pm in Koh samui and they were round the poool - drinking - what else apparently she fell over last night in a really posh hotel.

Keep in touch and enjoy the rest of the year in India and all the best for 2008 - we may try to gey a late booking on New years eve to fly somewhere or the week - not back at work till te 7th Jan

Take care

Mum Dad and Becki
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

prophin said...

Just realised all my spelling mistakes - had my nails re done last week and they are far too long to touch type on a keyboard!!!

Mum
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

slates said...

good idea to spend xmas somweher where xmas is just a blip on the calendar. we ate too much, slobbed around too much and got sore throats.
special request:- Please post some picis of you doing yoga !

Gegwen and Guy