Monday 31 December 2007

Ganga News

Part of the derelict 'Beatles' Ashram, Rishikesh.


The Ganga.


Me, in The Ganga.


Other people, in The Ganga.



Well, after 2 weeks, I finally left Rishikesh. It's a place thats very easy to spend time in. Also got into a routine for the first time. Yoga, Eat, Chill out, Yoga, Eat, Sleep. Anyways, in the end I got the motivation to leave after Christmas.

Now in the capital of Uttar Pradesh- Lucknow, a Muslim city, famous for the Indian Mutiny/Uprising/War of Independence (depending on your political point of view) in 1857. The mutineers/freedom fighters surrounded the British Residency after we got rid of the local prince. 3000 soldiers women and children were then under siege for 8 months. The residency was reduced to rumble and only 1000 odd people survived. And so it goes. Lucknow is the most organised and cosmopolitan city I've visited so far. Lots of posh shops, not many poor people and a Marks&Spencer.

Going to spend New Year here, then head off to Varanasi, the Holiest of Hindu city.

Happy New Year everyone!!

2 comments:

TerraPosse said...

Happy New Year Stu! I'm glad you're having such a great time.
I'm having some bad karma on this trip of mine. My biking ambitions are over for now thanks to a nasty fall on a slippery jetty crashing on the same shoulder I hurt last year this time in a bike off. Still just happy nothing is broken. Will be looking at flying back to Thailand in the next few days to get it looked at over there.
Good luck & keep the rubber down...Jens

P.S.: I love your paint job ;-)

prophin said...

Happy New Year Stu,

Thanks for phoning us yesterday it was great to hear from you. Linsey rang us from Sydney
What am I doing here in dreary cold Sheffield!!!!
Can I join you on your next trip to India??????
Love Mum
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx