Sunday 2 March 2008

Temples & Tigers


Roadkill.


Scaffholders working on the Sri Meenakshi Temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.


Close up of one of the gopurams , most of the temples in the south are painted up like this in Dravidian style.


Me in the jungle. The gaiters are to stop leeches getting in! Periyar Tiger Reserve, Kerala.



Spot the elephants.


Hi there!!!! Since my last post I've been doing plenty of temple spotting in Tamil Nadu. Down here in the south the temples are completely different to up north. North= Ayran (not the blonde, blue eyed type) South= Dravidian, therefore completely different language, culture, temple design, etc. I visited the three biggest temple towns of Tanjour, Trichy and most famously Madurai. To be honest, the Temples all looked pretty similar, although the complex at Trichy was bloody massive- about 60 hectares according to Book of Lies. All were very impressive and colourful.
After all that cultural stuff, I've crossed the border into Kerala and am now at a small town called Kumily, in the Cardomom Hills. The whole place is surrounded by tea and spice plantations. For the past few days Iv'e been living off cinnamon and cardomom tea hmmmmmmmmm. Anyway, right next to Kumily is the Periyar Tiger Reserve. Yesterday I went on a jungle walk and saw lots birds, butterflies, monkeys, elephants and buffalo. No Tigers though, with only 40 tiggers in a 700km sq reserve it was always going to be a long shot. After seeing some of their paw prints as big as your hand, in retrospect it was probably for the best.
Well I'm knackered after all this running around, so tomorrow I'm heading for a Keralan beach. Laters....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Stu. Ron Collier referred me to your blog. Guy from Utah traveling with his Fam. Love your blog. I wrote about it and did some linking at http://midliferider.com/blog/2008/03/03/meet-stu-hes-cooler-than-me-or-you-hes-riding-a-crapper-royal-enfield-all-over-india/. Hope you appreciate the call out!

prophin said...

Happy belated birthday Stu, hope you had a great day, your latest photos are fab, I've got the one of you in the jungle with your binoculars round your neck as my background picture, here at Psalter Lane.

Becki said you'd phoned and she was actually in the house!!!
We had a fab time in Egypt will definately go back for a winter sunshine guaranteed holiday - 11 hours daily of clear blue skies and sun!!! Our bedroom and balcony overlooked the Red Sea. Dad did a bit of snorkelling but lost the end of his snorkel --- it dropped off!!! The Russians staying at the hotel, and there were lots of them!!! thought our dancing was 'fantastique' as one of them told us. 'You have such good rytham' she said - we Waltzed, did Rumba, a bit of Jive and Salsa and Mambo, but after watching the Russians trying to Line Dance I suppose we did look very good They were comical they didnt even dance in a straight line, they huddled together to practice the steps thery were trying to do, then the music would finish before they'd really go t started. Bless them!!!

They were even photographing us!!!

I suppose our 3 years of hourly dance lessons a week must have paid off, even a British couple asked if we'd be on the next series of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.. - don't think we are that good yet!!!

Anyway, better go hope to hear from you soon.

Love Mum
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

prophin said...

Hi Stu,

Seen the bit about your blog on the midliferider site - really good - how did it come about??
Forgot to say on my note to you yesterday that I am going in to have my gall bladder removed next Friday (14th) so I am sure you will be sending me lots of tender loving care!!!! Thanks for the photo in the frame that Linsey sent me for Mothers Day (2nd March) of the both of you at her and John's leaving party.

Speak to you soon, take care

Love Mum
xxxxxxxxxxMarch)

Stuart said...

Hi Mum. I met Ron and his family at a cafe in Pondacherry, and just got talking. Like all good bikers.
By the way, you can tell me about your hoilday and gall bladder at my hotmail account. I check it more than this one!!!!